Tour Cullinan

Village Historical Tour

 

Village Historical Tour

 

 

 

With the discovery of the Premier Mine pipe in 1902 workers from all over the world flocked to the area to find employment. Tents were the accommodation of these workers in the early days and only when the extent of the pipe was known and the pipe had begun to yield diamonds was more permanent accommodation constructed, the first built being the General Managers house in 1903, closely followed by the construction of a street of terraced cottages and many “zinc” houses. These permanent dwellings were mainly accommodated for the senior officials of the mine, the miners still lived in tents or constructed corrugated houses and mud rondavels as accommodation for themselves.

 

 

 

With the formation of a village for the mine workers, the wives and families of these workers soon arrived in the village and the need for a school was needed as well as churches. Shops, a railway station and facilities for the workers recreation soon followed. When the railway station was opened it was the General Manager of the mine, William McHardy who decided that the village would be named after Thomas Cullinan who was the Chairman of the company, as Cullinan.

 

 

 

Many of these buildings built in those early years still survive, including 4 churches, one designed by Herbert Baker, a Masonic Lodge, a Recreation club built in 1912 and some of those old ‘zinc house’, also included is the GMs residence built in 1903, now a museum and also includes the row of terraced houses now mainly restaurants and shops.

 

 

 

Cullinan Tourism and History invite you to join them on a guided tour of the village to view these historical buildings. The tour will take place on an old tram pulled buy an old tractor. The tram was originally pulled by horses between Simmer and Jack mine and Primrose Hill in Johannesburg and has been adapted for this tour.